This is a Consultant-led children’s specialist allergy service. The service aims to deliver high quality, specialist care for children with severe and complex allergies.
Referrals will be accepted provided that they are on the list of conditions we treat and they do not meet remit of Community Paediatric Clinics.
- Children will be accepted up to their 16th birthday.
Note: There is no need to request bloods for specific IgE measurement prior to child’s referral. Skin prick tests and are often more reliable, less painful, provide instant results and are cheaper. The need for blood testing will be assessed by a specialist in clinic.
Remit of community paediatric clinics
(Referral through ICAN (Integrated Children Additional Needs service) Link - Leeds Community Healthcare - Community Paediatric Clinics)
- Suspected cow’s milk intolerance (CMPI) for usually under 6 months old with symptoms of;
- pain or discomfort on feeding;
- poor feeding but hungry baby;
- persistent gastro-oesophageal reflux not improved with anti-reflux treatment;
- colicky/unsettled baby whose symptoms present throughput the day not just evenings;
- blood in stool in children <6 months.
- Feeding difficulties and food aversion
Remit of consultant lead paediatric allergy service at Leeds Teaching Hospitals
- Immediate reactions to food
- Insect sting allergy
- Immediate reactions without clear cause
- Latex allergy
- Eczema with allergic triggers
- Chronic urticaria (lasting > 6 weeks)
- Acute angioedema
Respiratory and ENT allergy
- Mild to moderate allergic asthma
Note: Please refer ‘difficult to treat’ asthma to tertiary asthma clinic.
- Chronic rhinosinusitis
- Moderate to severe allergic rhinoconjunctivitis
- Evaluation of reactions to antibiotics, vaccines, anaesthetics
- Poorly controlled rhinitis
- Anaphylaxis to bee and wasp sting
- skin prick testing
- specific IgE blood tests
- diagnostic food and drug challenges
- specialist imaging
- Anaphylaxis management
- Specialist nurse advice/ support
- Specialist dietetic advice/ support
- Allergen specific immunotherapy for rhinitis
- Bee and wasp venom immunotherapy