MRSA Risk - guidance on selection of antimicrobial prophylaxis and empirical treatment regimens
|Next review: 20/11/2022|
|Approved By: Improving Antimicrobial Prescribing Group and Infection Control|
|Copyright© Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust 2019|
This Clinical Guideline is intended for use by healthcare professionals within Leeds unless otherwise stated.
MRSA risk - guidance on selection of antimicrobial prophylaxis and empirical treatment regimens
Patients within these categories are considered at increased risk of MRSA infection:
- Known colonisation with MRSA at any site at any time.
- Known previous infection with MRSA (requiring antimicrobial treatment) at any time.
- Resident of a long term care facility (nursing home, residential home or any other long term residential facility) without a negative MRSA screening result.
- Current inpatient and in hospital for greater than 14 days.
If a patient has risk factors for MRSA infection:
- MRSA should be considered when choosing empirical (best guess) antimicrobial treatment regimens for infection.
- They should receive surgical prophylaxis with activity against MRSA as specified in specialty-specific prophylaxis guidelines.
- Where no specialty specific prophylaxis guidelines exists teicoplanin IV bolus 400mg within 1 hour prior to incision/tourniquet application as a single dose may be appropriate, discussion with microbiology is advised.
- Where patient is allergic to teicoplanin seek microbiology advice.
- Topical decolonisation should be administered according to the screening and decolonisation protocol.
|Target patient group:||All patients|
|Target professional group(s):||Pharmacists
Secondary Care Doctors
Secondary Care Nurses
Improving Antimicrobial Prescribing Group and Infection Control
LHP version 1.0
Equity and Diversity
The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is committed to ensuring that the way that we provide services and the way we recruit and treat staff reflects individual needs, promotes equality and does not discriminate unfairly against any particular individual or group.